Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Knead Some Doh?




It's always a challenge keeping our children entertained and occupied. My daughter and I spend a lot of time making different projects and crafts. In 2008, we began our journey "greening" our home and becoming a little more eco-friendly. Not over the top, but little steps to maintain a healthier lifestyle. One thing I am always concerned about is the amount of toxins in products and toys that my daughter plays with. So, when I stumbled upon an organic recipe for play-doh that I found online, I was very anxious to try it out.

It was very easy to make and uses the ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen. We make a fresh batch monthly and keep it stored in the refrigerator. We have experimented using different colors and color combinations. My daughter enjoys making and playing with the play-doh and I enjoy knowing it is a safe and harmless product!


Organic Play-Doh Recipe

2 cups flour

1/2 cup salt

1/4 cup cream of tartar

2 cups cold water

2 tbsp. canola or *olive oil

2 drops each of four different food colors


In a large mixing bowl, blend together flour, salt and cream of tartar.

In a cold non-stick sauce pan, add 1/2 cup cold water and two drops of food coloring. Swirl to mix. Add 1/2 tbsp. of canola or olive oil and stir with spoon.

Scoop in 1/2 cup dry ingredients and thorougly mix, forming a uniform paste.

Gently heat on medium-low heat, stirring the mixture, as it will quickly solidify. Roll it in the sauce pan; kenad the dough with spoon to cook. When smooth, remove it from heat and allow it to cool.

Start next batch with a new, cold pan. Repeat for remaining three batches.

Store in air tight container in refrigerator for one month.

*I ran out of canola oil one time and substituted with olive oil and had the same results

Enjoy!
Marla Boyle

Director of Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment