Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why bother?

It was spring of 2006 and I was at Dianjiang signing the agreement with the orphanage and government officials to start our Gracie’s Room project. There was a Chinese tv film crew doing a featuree on why “Westerners” come back to do work in orphanages. They taped me meeting the child- the orphan- that our family sponsored in foster care. I held this child and the reporter asked me a question. It was very emotional. I was meeting a child at my daughter’s orphanage who we had received reports on for a year.” Why do you do this?” “ Why do you pay for this child to be in foster care?” “ Why do you care about these orphans?” Remember, in China, “these orphans” are , to most, nobodies.
Why? Simple, boiled down answer? Because I would have given anything for my two girls to have received that care. Anything! If someone had asked me when I was waiting or my child if I would pay monthly for her care to ensure she was getting love and nurturing, that someone was holding her , engaging her, playing with her, loving her…I would not have hesitated. But that didn’t happen. I did not have that chance. Neither of our girls received any special care. No one held them and cherished them. No one fed them a bottle and cuddled them. They did not get what they needed.

I can’t change that for them . I can’t change their past. But I can change someone else’s future. In small ways, very small ways. And that’s why I do it. That is why I volunteer. It’s why I pay out of my own pocket to go to China and check on the program; to talk to the director about what can be done differently and how it can be improved. And it’s why I will continue to do – even in small measures- something to change the future of children, to give them a head start, to show them love…simply because I wish someone had done it for my kids…

5 comments:

  1. That brings tears to my eyes. I am so thankful that my daughter benefited from Gracies Room. I know how important those early years are. I only hope I can carry forward for other babies and parents as you are doing. What a role model you are fo so many.
    Thank you .....from the bottom of my heart.
    Kelly ( Chun Ge's Mamma)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shivers down my spine!!
    This is so true Moya, the difference between my Hanlin (who was in foster care from birth to age 4.5) and Lily who was only in the orphanage, is truly amazing.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know our Katie benefited from the foster care time she experienced for the last couple of months in DJ area before she was united with us. That's why we we have helped with foster care in the last couple of years, and I will renew our pledge for the future. It is so incredibly important that children experience the love and nurturing in families from infancy..............and until they are in their forever families.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful answer to a question who's answer "should be" obvious, but isn't always. What a great opportunity to help and give back, yet again, in the ways you do! Thanks Moya for publishing this. I'll be looking forward to the next installment of your trip, and "hi" to Andie! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!! It also is soooo easy to make SUCH A BIG DIFFERENCE. The progress that has been made is AWESOME!!! You Go Girl for so many other girls!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete